Right now becoming a member of Giv Effektivt, the Danish sister organization of Give Well and GWWC, can be a really good deed! We need 300 members before the new year to be able to offer tax deductions of around 450.000DKK ($66.000) for donations in 2024-2025. All EU citizens can become members. 

A membership costs 50DKK ($7). One of our fantastic donors will give a 100DKK donation for each new member we acquire until we reach our goal of 300 members.

Please feel free to share the message with friends or EAs in your network

Reactions

Comments10
Sorted by Click to highlight new comments since:

I'm surprised that having more members let's you offer better tax deductions (and that they don't even need to be Danish taxpayers!), what's up with that? 

This is a very non-EA opinion, but personally I quite like this on, for lack of a better word, aesthetics grounds: Charities should be accountable to someone, in the same way as companies are to shareholders, and politicians are to electorates. Membership models are a good way of achieving that. I am a little sad that my local EA group is not organized in the same way.

I'm not expressing an opinion on that. The post makes a clear claim that their legal status re tax deductibility will change if more EU citizens sign up. This surprises me and I want to understand it better. I agree there are other benefits to having more members, I'm not disputing that

I also got an error message when I tried to sign up. I didn't fill in the CPR-nr. (Tax ID) field but I doubt that was the cause. This is what the message says:

Der opstod en serverfejl. Prøv venligst igen. Skriv til os på donation@giveffektivt.dk hvis problemet opstår igen. Hvis muligt, så fortæl gerne, hvordan man kan fremprovokere fejlen.

I understand they have fixed this issue, but if not, just contact them directly. 

I signed up originally with an abbreviated version of my national ID number, but they preferred to correct the system and have the accurate number. 

Fwiw I was able to sign up by using the nine digit alphanumeric code on my German passport. 

Thanks for trying, fingers crossed you're able to join - signing up seems high leverage!

Do you still need more members? Just saw this in the digest

I tried to sign up but the payment step keeps giving an error. This happens both when I enter my card details and with Google Pay.

I also got an error when I tried a credit card, but my debit card (Bank of America) went through on the first try.

If I have done this some previous year, and got charged membership this year as well, do I need to do anything else? :) 🇩🇰 🤝 🇸🇪

Will try to spread the word!

Curated and popular this week
Relevant opportunities